Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quick Midnight Thoughts

Listening to Bob Dylan across an ocean feels more romantic.  I love “Boots of Spanish Leather.”  But, Joan Baez’ version is more beautiful I think (thank you, Annie!).  Familiar music takes on a new feel in a very different place and time.  This is why our oldest loved songs are so special … they have gained the most flavor over the many years we’ve loved them. 

I have been meaning to write about how this experience feels a lot like being at college.  I can see why many come here straight after graduating.  College is a buffer from high school to real life, and Korea is a buffer between college and real life.  This job/lifestyle has a unique quality to it, which is very unrealistic in the American job market.  Easy hours, paid housing, travel, relatively-low workplace expectations, etc.  Having been out of school a few years working hard to get by, this life feels like it’s too easy … there must be some catch.  In fact, I have made more work for myself so far in part because I feel like since I am older, it should be harder than my previous jobs.  It is not logical, but it is linear!

All the learning and new experiences, meeting all the new people, feels like college time.  There is a greater urgency to reach out and grasp every friend you can (in both situations).  There is an urgency to understand everything right away, to get caught up on the things the others know and you’re missing.  Needing rest and home time as well as all this, I can only maintain this freshman’s urgency most the time.  But the commonalities make me remember my time at Western fondly.

I have been thinking about Barrow a lot lately.  (The grass is always greener …!)  I hold a sentimental place in my heart for each place I’ve lived.  There were many great experiences there.  Wonderful people, magically unique nature, cultural exchanges.  I missed the Arctic Cotton this summer and I am missing the blue twilights and Autumnal fogs going on now.  The extreme cold makes the home feel that much more cozy, and I also miss this sensation.  Fleece blanket on the couch with a cat (or mini-dachsund) in my lap!  Thought I griped at the time of doing this, I also miss bundling up to go everywhere.  That was also very cozy.  Fat coats, thick scarves, gloves and soft hats.  Stuffed in all that gear into an SUV to glide out to Ilisagvik.  Memories!

My mind lately is full of Halloween and anticipation for Sara’s baby to come.  She is in my thoughts and I will be so happy when the baby comes along to us safely!    

I still need to caption them, but there are various new-ish pictures on display at my site.  I will try to add more soon!

Love,
Kay

2 comments:

  1. I can feel autumn in this blog post. The cold will come here soon enough, albeit not what you've been used to the past couple years... but don't worry! There will be plenty of time for cozy. I don't doubt that you can make cozy in almost any living situation :)

    It's good that you can reflect on your time in Barrow so positively. It means it was time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving catching up on your blog, Kayla! It's wonderful you are having such an adventure. Those children at your school are so cute. I love their beautiful decorations. Now I need to go find my Joan Baez cd because her voice is playing in my head! :)

    ReplyDelete