Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mobot

Today my heart was in the Arctic.  I spent my first purely recreational afternoon at work after classes today.  For 2? 3? hours I watched every video I could find on youtube of Eskimo dancing.  I found several other videos of Barrow and watched them.  Inupiaq culture is very beautiful … Barrow has certainly gotten under my skin!  When 4:30 rolled around I had to remind myself that I’m in Korea!


Though Sara is leaving Barrow, I hope to return there again for a visit in the not-too-distant future.  I’d love to see friends’ faces, go to native craft fairs, and enjoy the true delight of being cozy inside again.  Though I’m happy for the benefits of her move, it is a little sad to lose that point of connection in Barrow.  But, I know I still have good friends there and would always be welcomed!  Happy thought.

Such dear fondness for a place I had several complaints about while actually living there, coupled with some recent feelings, has led me to the conclusion that no matter what our situation and however happy we might actually be, we are always looking for SOMETHING to complain about.  And by we, I mean me.  The more content, the more trivial the complaints, but they are there nonetheless.  

My complaint lately is isolation.  But isolation has also been my solace.  Not understanding the language that surrounds me everywhere I go, I take comfort in retreating into books and movies at home, or being with English-speaking friends.  Moving to a country where you don’t understand the language is like being simultaneously struck deaf, mute, and illiterate.  

The not-so-simple solution?  Learn the language.   I attempt it here and there, but I have not really hunkered down and given it my all.  I’ve got the survival language down, and as said previously, it is more relaxing of an evening not to have to bother with a confusing new language.   But, really I should try harder.  I know I should.  I know a few characters and can read a few important words already … if I were to apply myself I know I could get it!  Ha ha, sounds like the arguments I had with myself in college … “if I’m getting by so well without bothering, what could I do if I did try?”

Wishing you a Konglish Christmas!

Unfortunately for you, I am past the point of things being novel and so I keep forgetting to tell you about interesting and funny particularly Korean occurrences.  Konglish everywhere is still always entertaining.  And my students are a constant source of delight and Korean cuteness.  Though today, my fifth graders put me through the ringer!  The first 2 classes of them made me want to cry they were being so bad, and then the second 2 classes were so funny I had to laugh, and felt better.  

Oh!  Yesterday my third graders took an alphabet test.  I know they are young and still learning, and English is very difficult to learn, so I feel a bit bad for laughing at this … on the test, there were words with the first letter missing, and the students had to fill in the letter.  While walking around to sort of “police” them with my presence and make sure no one’s cheating, I noticed one boy put in an “M” for the word “robot.”  “mobot”!!  so funny :).  There were some other funny ones, too … gave me a little inward chuckle.   

Another complaint of late is that I don’t want to waste all the potential vacation time in winter, but I am not sure if I can afford to go anywhere.  I have made an elaborate plan for a trip to Japan, but making it happen is a little tricky.  For a trip to a place you’ve longed to go for a long time, you don’t want to have to skimp on travel time or money … you want to be able to take your time and enjoy everything.  So I am going back and forth between whether I should just take the trip with little money, or desk-warm for 2 weeks and save my vacation time.  OR take 1 week off and travel round Korea.  I have to decide really soon if I’m taking a vacation and notify my school, so it’s a little stressful.  Any advice from the peanut gallery?

I want to go to Japan!!!
Another post on the heels of this one ... talk to you soon!
kj

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla! Happy Holidays!
    I miss you! My kids and I are leaving tomorrow for 4 weeks to go be with my mommy and grandma. Can't wait!
    It sounds like Korea is a fun place to be. I like reading about your adventures.

    Stay warm!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete